Hey guys, check out new PolyGnome tool for Cinema 4D from our long-time member C4DS. You can find PolyGnome in our Store and we hope you like it!! :cowboypistol:

Cinema 4D Plugins

villianfx    1

Ok, Here is another one, Can you critique plz. I even UV wrapped most of it except the wheels

airplane.c4d

Cerbera    1,009

I've had a look at your file. You seem to have used SDS edge weighting instead of proper geometry for some reason ? So whilst it looks 'OK', the topology isn't very good, because in most cases you only have edges flowing in one direction (wings / tail fins etc), and are relying on weighting alone to make it hold the shapes under SDS, which (in most circumstances) is not considered good technique. The main body particularly is suffering from very uneven polygon distribution, and there are complex poles / triangles on curves elsewhere that will cause shading problems under subdivision (prop nose cone and wheel axle ends for example). You should eliminate the triangles completely - there is no need for anything except 100% quads in this model.

The phong tag is also set incorrectly for various surfaces, wing stands showing the problem most severely. This has probably happened because of options you left on during bevel commands (break phong rounding), and you should turn off 'use edge breaks' in the tag to fix the problem. We should also consider at this point the wisdom of combining all the objects into one model - really you need to get the phong tags correct on all the components before you do this (or consider just leaving the parts separate), as now they are affected only by a single tag, which makes altering phong on a per-piece basis much more difficult, and may even result in you having to redefine edge breaks over the whole model.

The UV mapping, on the other hand, is done much better, with only the prop blades needing some additional work to get distortion-free UV's. Oh, and the main body has the UV's mapped in reverse, so you need to flip those bits of mesh in UV edit.

Hope that helps

CBR

Cerbera    1,009
12 hours ago, villianfx said:

so when do we use the SDS weighting

When we haven't got time to do it properly ;) Or in very specific modelling circumstances where we need edge flow to be a certain way and also need sharp corners in a way that would adversely affect that edge flow were we to try and accommodate them with additional topology.

Another legitimate use for it is when you are doing high detail panel modelling on a lower res mesh, and need to split a section away from the main for additional subdivision, so that would require that you would use edge weighting to keep the corners perfectly meeting their counterparts on the main model, for a seamless surface, despite separate objects, SDS and non-uniform subdivision.

If your model isn't ever going to be shared, or end up in another system, you can probably get away with edge weighting like you are using it - you don't need compatibility with other programs. But you asked for a critique, so my point is only to let you know that it should be the last solution you turn to for modelling - it is almost always superior to control your curvature with geometry and use no edge weighting at all.

• Like 1

villianfx    1

I really do a appreciate it... I have a few more models Iv done recently, if you're still up for the critiquing 

Cerbera    1,009

Sure, no problem...

Fastbee    51

I didn't open the model, but from what Cerbera said I agree.  Loop flow is the most important thing when modeling.