adamjm

adding a bottle thread

adamjm    0

hi guys,

I was wondering if anyone knows how to model a bottle cap screw thread, and what tool is best to use for this?

any help would be great?

thanks adam

Cerbera    1,214

It depends. How close is the camera going to get, and how good are you at modelling ? :)

So, the easy, cheaty way is to use a helix spline in a sweep with a rectangle spline as the profile, made edtiable and altered so that you get a nice tapered point on one end. By aligning the axis of the rectangle to its X minimum, and positioning the helix very precisely to your bottle neck you can often get pretty believable results this way, especially if the thread is quite hard edged on your reference.

The better, harder, more time consuming way is to model the thread in, where you would start with a cylinder with only vertical segments, and you would cut in your helical thread with the knife tools before bevelling the track and extruding. There's a few YT vids of people doing that, which will be helpful in showing you how to terminate the loops at the end; even if they are not using C4D the techniques still apply.

Here's one, and it's my favourite SD tutorial guy, and in C4D ! He's doing it with clever offsets !

CBR

• Like 1

MJohnny    32
5 hours ago, Cerbera said:

The better, harder, more time consuming way is to model the thread in, where you would start with a cylinder with only vertical segments, and you would cut in your helical thread with the knife tools before bevelling the track and extruding. There's a few YT vids of people doing that, which will be helpful in showing you how to terminate the loops at the end; even if they are not using C4D the techniques still apply.

Here's one, and it's my favourite SD tutorial guy, and in C4D ! He's doing it with clever offsets !

I remember the first time I saw this technique was a light bulb modelling tutorial. Not even a videotutorial, but a text with screens.

Sure works for bottle too.

Cerbera    1,214
2 hours ago, MJohnny said:

I remember the first time I saw this technique was a light bulb modelling tutorial. Not even a videotutorial, but a text with screens.

Sure works for bottle too.

Yeah brilliant for bulbs. I am not an inexperienced modeller, yet this technique still does my head in; I just do not get how moving stuff on X and Z produces a spiral on Y. Still, we don't have to understand cotton to wear it, do we ? ;)

• Like 1

DanLSK    37
On 8/18/2017 at 5:10 AM, Cerbera said:

Excuse me while I go revisit some of my models...  That is  incredible, thanx for sharing !

• Namaste 1

bezo    416

Another (very accurate) way can be extrude spiral spline...