Hey, you need a renderfarm? If that's the case, make sure you check this topic for more info! 

Guest violst

V-Ray for C4D...

Visionnext    83

Still using Vray for C4D and it definitely improved with 3.x. I think it really depends on your system (CPU <-> GPU, PC <-> MAC, Nvidia <-> AMD) and if you are doing motion graphics, animations, archviz or characters.

There are some other users here, like @Rectro, who did an amazing job with his Tyrion clone

https://www.c4dcafe.com/ipb/forums/topic/99634-tyrion-lannister-game-of-thrones-fan-art/?do=findComment&comment=658025

• Like 1

Rectro    703

@Visionnext thanks for the mention.  Vray 3.4 was a major turning point, and realy had some big changes from v1.9.  Vray for me was a no brainier as it has a huge following on all platforms in which I can learn from.  I do hope that MAXON let 3rd parties have access to the new viewport features as this is where vray lets me down along with its IPR.  Results and speed wise, Im very happy, way, way faster than C4D Advanced renderer, but in years to come Pro renderer should close the gap.

I was close to getting Arnold, but there was no way I could afford so many licence nodes, with Vray I had 10 included in the price of one licence. No render nodes, no chance of ever rendering out any animation shorts, so for me it gave me a viable option for the future.

Dan

Guest violst   
Guest violst
  • Topic Author
  • Thanks @Visionnext and @Rectro for your response. @Rectro that was my problem as well the price of arnold and no render nodes makes it a no go and since I use macOS and the new Mac pro Octane is also a no go. I used Vray 1.9 for a while but it was a bit hit or miss for me and the setting were a little convoluted. I was wondering if the IPR window works with macOS or an AMD GPU? I haven't heard a lot about Vray these days and was just wondering if less people are using it, but as a mac user its seems like it would be the best 3rd party option?

PS @Rectro the 3D Tyrion Lannister that you created is amazing!!!

Thanks again!

• Topic Author
  • The VRay IPR window works via the CPU on MacOS with AMD, it's actually very fast even on an iMac, I think it will compare very favourably with ProRender despite running on the CPU on Macs.

I think with the advent of Threadripper and potentially a new CPU war VRay is an outstanding option to take a look at with fresh eyes, it seamlessly flits between path tracing and Irradiance mapping for those complex interior lighting situation that take their toll on GPU path tracers. I still love the look of VRay renders.

I also hope MAXON open up their viewport API and any eventual nodal material system to 3rd parties as I'm sure Stefan's team will ensure VRay continues to be as integrated as it can be.

The only real issue is that Chaos Group hold back the API so VRayForC4D is always last out the gate.

Rectro    703

I think Vrays IPR for most works fine, it just so happens Im not doing Architect visualisation which to me seems its best suited.  I have a short list of issues with the IPR and Stefan knows about them, it seems to point to ChaosGroup to sort them out.

Regardless of the IPR issues Im having I still would use Vray because for freelance artist its one heck of an affordable solution for very high end results with so many render nodes. Vray access to C4D viewport it would make a huge difference to many.

Dan

Guest violst   
    Guest violst
  • Topic Author
  • Thanks All! I think I will give R19's ProRender a quick look but I don't hold out to much hope for that until it gets more development under its belt. I think I will upgrade my Vray to 3.4 in the near future.

Thanks again!