Clear

Trust Volume Controller

Hello everyone,

so... This is my first post and I came here to share my enthusiasm for 3D graphics in general. Truth be told I'm a newbie, never been hired as a 3D artist, generalist or modeller whatever the case may be. But one day I'd love to. So this past week mostly during the long nights before work I've been cooking up this model of volume controller I got on my desk. I appriciate any feedback you guys throw at me as I really do want to get better. It is my first finished project in Cinema, switched about 6 months ago from 3Ds Max and just learning the functions I already love it! So simple and intuitive.

Anyways, wish you all the best,

Clear.

Final_01.jpg

Final_02.jpg

Final_03.jpg

Final_04.jpg

02.jpg

01.jpg

• Like 1

Thanks! The cables are my favorite part as well, even though it took like the least time. Haha. Just splines with a sweep on them. With the logo I was going for "a brand new" kind of look, but as we know nothing is this precise and sharp in the real world I guess. Edited the original post with two additional screenshots of the topology. I am aware that it's pretty bad, sadly I still haven't figured out how to properly connect rounded objects to other objects...

renderd images look fine but not so much when it comes to the geometry and use of booles, as @Cerberawould say it's not proper modelling  ;) it's also quite high poly, it's a fairly simple shape that would be far easier to model with low polys ;)

First of all it's a very nice render, beautifully textured and lit, so definitely winning there. But the modelling isn't going quite so well, as @VECTOR mentioned.

You're actually getting small shading errors if you look closely at the ports areas, and you could do with another edge loop between the top of them and the ridge above so that the ports don't disrupt the edge flow of the circular rim. However it is probably not so severe that you couldn't sort it out by increasing the phong angle a bit.

You also have some complex poles that don't need to be there. The booles are horrible - look what they've done to your topology ! And there was no need for them - you had easily enough segmentation there to model the holes properly. But don't be discouraged - your excellent work in the texturing, lighting and rendering, combined with no SDS has largely mitigated any dodgy modelling to all but the most critical eye.

CBR

Thank you @Cerbera for the amazing feedback! Sadly I was quite struggling with the holes probably due to the topology being bad even before the booles so in the end I ran out of patience and just put them in. I'll be sure to watch out for these mistakes in modeling my next project. 

• Namaste 1