Hey

please be considerate and disable AD blocker when you are on the C4D Cafe, because it helps us run this forum. We minimalized showing of the AD's all across the forums, so please, be so kind and at least help us by having AD blocker turned off. 

Cinema 4D Plugins

Clear

Rocky area - best way to go at it?

Clear    2

Hello!

So I got an upcoming personal project involving a lot of individual rocks with moss and the background is going to be huge, spread out rocky area. I was wondering what the best way to model really rough, organic rocks might be? Never really tried it. The way I was planning to go about it is some kind of noise shader put onto displacer object on a plane as the background. But I suppose all those rocks closer to the camera would be better done manually if I wanted more control over their look? There are some tutorials out there, but I haven't found one that would show a technique I could actually use. Anyway I'll be glad to hear any suggestions or advices. 

Clear

VECTOR    380

Hi, have you tried using the landscape object ? it has all sorts of adjustable parameters, makes for a pretty good base, as for the rocks I would model a hand full of different ones or use the rock generator to do that hard bit for you, I think it's available In the downloads section although I'm not 100 percent sure 

MJohnny    32

3D rocks models are freely available if you just use google search. They mostly come in 3ds/obj formats, which are painless to import to c4d.

Some of the finest pre-made rocks I could find come from Quixel Megascans and they also offer free samples with mapped textures.

For custom rocks of any size and shape, I would use Vue from e-on software. It's the best 3d app for landscapes.

If you are struggling with terrain creation you can use DEM earth plugin for realistic terrain elevations.

Cerbera    1,205

The landscape object can produce some fantastic terrain results - just whack the segments up to the maximum 1000 x 1000, and you'll be getting some nice terrain detail. Increase sea level to get islands and coves and whatnot. I'd have one hero landscape object up close, and then a couple more behind it at lower resolution to fill in background detail. It does produce variations on a single theme, but you can radically change the look of it by adding layered noises into displacement and bump channels. Always do multiple layers and varying types and scales of noise - 1 on its own is rarely enough for satisfying  detail.

Then I'd make myself about 5-10 different rock shapes (v low poly), and clone those over the surface of the front landscape, randomising PSR, adding a push apart effector to stop them intersecting and using render instances so you can get thousands of them without scene slowdown.

Here's a nice niko Schatz tutorial that covers this sort of thing both landscape and texturing ideas. He's doing mountains, but the techniques remain largely the same at smaller scales, and minus the snow, although you could use that technique to add moss if you were clever...

CBR

Clear    2
  • Topic Author
  • Thank iou for all the replies. I looked into landscape object and didn't quite manage to achieve what I'm going for. But still yet have the bump and displacement with layered noises to try. Suppose I should've linked a reference image sooner, but I attached two photos of something similar what I am trying do. Like a cliff or a cave. Mass of rocks with sharp edges and "outlines". Again, not sure if what you guys suggested would work for this sort of thing. I'll definitely try some of this stuff once I get to my PC. 

IMG_4569.JPG

IMG_4570.JPG

MJohnny    32

Not sure if this is possible in c4d ... sure looks like a headache... perhaps doable with vue + zbrush?

Cerbera    1,205

Oh, THAT sort of rock. Yeah, C4D is not the software for that. I'd recommend Terragen 4.

CBR

Clear    2
  • Topic Author
  • Either of those look like a solution.  Just don't know if I can afford buying a software for a personal project at this point. Will check for demos and the limitations... or I'll just do a different project. I'm destroying my social life for the sake of getting better, so I got a plenty of other ideas to work on. Anyway thank you for the suggestions really appreciate the help. :) 

Cerbera    1,205

There are cheaper solutions which will get you 'close-ish'. I have Landscape Shading Kit, which is very good for instantly textured terrain work, and doesn't cost much. It's 75 euros now, and I'd say it is worth that money. If there is a fault with it, it is that it can be difficult to get detail sharp enough without post work, but otherwise it's quite a neat solution.

CBR

Clear    2
  • Topic Author
  • That really does look worth the money. I'm sure I'd put it in good use even in the future. I'll have to look into that closely and consider my options, however it does look like it could do a sufficient job with what I'm trying to achieve. Thanks for the tip. :) 

Visionnext    70

I had a look at this before and still consider to get it. At the moment I use World Machine and Geoglyph 2 to create landscapes for Cinema 4D / Vray, but there a certain limitations regarding overhanging structures. I think the Landscape Shading Kit might be useful together with the created landscapes by World Machine and the erosion alpha maps.