Hey guys, check out new PolyGnome tool for Cinema 4D from our long-time member C4DS. You can find PolyGnome in our Store and we hope you like it!! :cowboypistol:

Kima    0

If I dont pay my MSA how long do you think my current R18 version will last till it becomes an obsolete piece of trash?  I just can't justify the $800 bucks this year.  Its too much to keep forking out every year when Im barely making enough money to live on.  

VECTOR    287
1 hour ago, Kima said:

If I dont pay my MSA how long do you think my current R18 version will last till it becomes an obsolete piece of trash?  I just can't justify the $800 bucks this year.  Its too much to keep forking out every year when Im barely making enough money to live on.  

i'm on R18 and wont be upgrading again till atleast R20, ive only this year gone from 16 to 18

Cerbera    1,009

R18 will continue to be a powerful piece of software no matter what comes after it, and you don't have to have the latest version of something to be producing quality work. I stopped updating Photoshop when they started their monthly rental scam scheme, and nothing I have needed to do since has not been possible in the older version of the software. You'll be good for a few years yet I would have thought... 

CBR

• Like 1

spiralstair    21

Come on @Cerbera, the newest version of Photoshop cc is completely different to last years version. the picture you see when you load it up is different and ... Oh yes I see your point.

@Kima I'm on R17 and plan to upgrade to R19 on release. I have worked with a couple of collaborators recently both on R18 and there has been very little in the c4d toolset that I couldn't access in the scenefiles we share.

this pro render thing is going to take a while to iron out all of its initial glitches. I'd save your 800 and buy vray or corona instead.

• Haha 1

goodomen    30

I still use CS6 at home (Photoshop /AfterFX etc) and I can produce same quality work as on CC. I updated to R19 but If next update I'll be similar to this I think I'll pass next year. 

Rectro    475

I know a guy  that introduced C4D to me, he is still on R10, and still uses it to this day.  I still use Photoshop CS5 and it works fine.  It may not have the latest tech but I dont miss what I dont know.  I wont rent my software and am happy to use what ever I can afford.  It wouldn't surprised me if a nice deal comes up close to r20 so maybe things will pick up for you by then.

Dan

Kima    0

thanks for all the comments.  Ive decided Im def not gonna spend the money this year.  I have so much to learn anyway that I could just use this version while Im learning for a few years and then if I end up using it more for work I will upgrade then.

I have on more question.    Do they make you pay full price to upgrade if you let it lapse beyond a a certain amount of versions?

Rectro    475
16 minutes ago, Kima said:

thanks for all the comments.  Ive decided Im def not gonna spend the money this year.  I have so much to learn anyway that I could just use this version while Im learning for a few years and then if I end up using it more for work I will upgrade then.

I have on more question.    Do they make you pay full price to upgrade if you let it lapse beyond a a certain amount of versions?

If you want to keep on the upgrade path you must upgrade within 3 versions.  So your on R18 you must upgrade by r20 or your out the loop.  Your only way to get a upgrade is to use a crossgrade which is no more of a discount that most other software users get.  Its very expensive by this point.  If you can get r20 then your be ok but its a very expensive way to do it as your more or less paying for the years you miss.  MSA is by far the most cost effective way to keep on top of it.  It would probably work out cheaper to get a loan maybe than to wait for the 3rd year and upgrade.  

Dan

Cerbera    1,009
19 minutes ago, Kima said:

Do they make you pay full price to upgrade if you let it lapse beyond a a certain amount of versions?

Yeah, that's the only thing; don't get more than 2 versions behind, or you'll have to buy it again with no discount. You can check the MAXON site to see how much they are charging to go from 16 to 18 (it's roughly half price), but they don't even mention any versions before that, so I think you'd be back to full price were you trying to upgrade from 15.

CBR

Rectro    475
4 minutes ago, Cerbera said:

You can check the MAXON site to see how much they are charging to go from 16 to 18 (it's roughly half price), but they don't even mention any versions before that.

It goes into Crossgrade after your out the loop, but its still so expensive, and I think MAXON should not put their old customers in the same line as a crossgrade from other 3rd party apps, a bit more of a discount should be applied.

PS: I call it Crossgrade but actualy they call it Sidegrade.

Dan

• Like 1

Kima    0

Aah man i hate the pressure from these companies to keep on paying them.  I feel like a mug.  I have so many softwares on my mac but I can't keep up with it all. That $800 is better off staying in my bank account towards a more financially secure future and if , and thats a very big if, at some point I begin to actually make some money back from all this stuff then perhaps I will be in  a better position to buy it again but right now its too much of an ask.  Out of all the software I use MAXON is the steepest in price and I dont feel its worth the money being as the majority of the time many of the features dont even work that well such as the particles.  The marketing and hype makes it look way better than it is when it comes to performance.  Id be happy to give them 300 - 400 a year but not 800.   

Rectro    475

Totally get what your saying, but Im a little confused as to why your saying its $800?  Your already on r18 so you get a MSA for $650 which gets you r19?

Dan