Hey guys, check out new PolyGnome tool for Cinema 4D from our long-time member C4DS. You can find PolyGnome in our Store and we hope you like it!! :cowboypistol:

Kima    0
1 minute ago, Rectro said:

Totally get what your saying, but Im a little confused as to why your saying its $800?  Your already on r18 so you get a MSA for $650 which gets you r19?

Dan

Im talking in Australian dollars. Are you? 

Rectro    475

I see, No it dont say in your profile where your from. that is a little steep.  Im in the UK here , including 20% vat its £540 On Maxons site it shows $650.

Dan

rfanoni    2

I'm often curious about this sort of thread. No-one likes paying for what they don't need. But if you're earning money from it, you can probably expense quite a bit of the cost, no? That's certainly why I keep up to date. 

If it's just a hobby, then it's a very expensive one and i would stay at the bare minimum version. Or more likely switch to blender.

Greatszalam    67

All of the workflow boosting things in R19 make it a must-purchase for me.

ProRender can go suck an egg. I don't care anything for it.

It's all of the OTHER stuff that's a big deal.

Check out the scene reconstruction stuff you can do with it! (See Rick's SIGGRAPH presentation for it in action. Way better than I thought it would be.) The additions to the Voronoi Fracture object make it really interesting. (Connectors on EVERYTHING!) Some handy enhancements to UV work. The new viewport is great! I will probably be able to send off hardware renders as finals for some of my work (DOF in the viewport is so handy). And little tweaks that I'm not even thinking of right now that I'll probably use every day. (Like the modifier keys to add multiple generators to multiple selections, for example.)

Plus, the MSA is not a lot of money compared to what it will be to pay to upgrade to R20. And, since we're seeing some of the new modeling core in R19, R20 will likely be a big deal for modeling (and probably a bunch of other stuff too).

Zmotive    48

If the R16 to R18 price promotion was any indication, R18 to R20 (Really 18 to 19 + MSA) won't be that much more. Likely $1000 (US) unless they mess with their prior pricing structure. Hopefully not.

Surprised though to see you saying that about Pro Render. Weren't you in the positive camp on that one not so long ago?

bobc4d    81
5 hours ago, rfanoni said:

I'm often curious about this sort of thread. No-one likes paying for what they don't need. But if you're earning money from it, you can probably expense quite a bit of the cost, no? That's certainly why I keep up to date. 

If it's just a hobby, then it's a very expensive one and i would stay at the bare minimum version. Or more likely switch to blender.

I am a hobbyist and yes it is expensive but I can't drink alcohol, don't smoke and don't have cable TV and I have no other vices so about $50 a month for MSA is my vice. I know others who spend more on that buying wine monthly so it is all in perspective.

• Namaste 1

Cerbera    1,009

57 minutes ago, bobc4d said:

I am a hobbyist and yes it is expensive but I can't drink alcohol, don't smoke and don't have cable TV and I have no other vices so about $50 a month for MSA is my vice. I know others who spend more on that buying wine monthly so it is all in perspective.

Yeah - I'm with you there. It was worth it when I was hobbyist, and is even more so now when just a single typical job pays for a year's MSA - it's a no-brainer :)

• Like 1

Zmotive    48
1 hour ago, bobc4d said:

Yep that's a good way to look at it. A lot of people throw away a lot money every month on stupid sh**, starting with $150+ cable / satellite subscriptions and going from there to massive wireless plans they don't really need, etc.

I probably would've upgrade already but have some personal stuff going on that makes dropping $650 on anything software-related not a good use of money right now. While the viewport looks pretty cool and nice Voronoi additions and nice beat-syncing additions none of it is enough to justify that cost given all other costs in my world right now.

Maybe we'll get a nice Black Friday upgrade sale or something later this year.

• Like 1

Greatszalam    67
3 hours ago, Zmotive said:

Surprised though to see you saying that about Pro Render. Weren't you in the positive camp on that one not so long ago?

Not really. I mean, we might use it at my full time job since we don't have any third-party rendering solution, but we have a render farm already set up for Standard/Physical and the new viewport will really help look dev so I don't know how useful it is going to be. I can understand why they've included it, but I really don't care - especially compared to all of the other useful things.

Cutman    122

I predict exactly no one will be interested in ProRender when it hits the streets in the next week or so. Rick's Siggraph presentation on Cineversity showed how slow it is with 2x M6000 cards which is a lot of horse power. If you haven't already invested heavily in GPUs for GPU rendering on the average GPU ProRender is absolutely useless.

I would've preferred the Hardware Renderer had been fully fleshed out like the Blender one. I'm much more interested in Game Engine renderers that yet another (slow) path tracer. I understand there are issues with the screen space reflection only working with certain object types and angles so the Hardware renderer may be a mixed bag.

• Like 1

spiralstair    21

Will the speed of hardware render and live viewport depend on fast GPU? Is it an option which excludes those with macs with restricted GPU?