Hey guys, check out new PolyGnome tool for Cinema 4D from our long-time member C4DS. You can find PolyGnome in our Store and we hope you like it!! :cowboypistol:

bobc4d

11 trillion gallons of rain since Thurs

bobc4d    82

I hope my fellow Texans and their families on this site are safe with this devastating storm.

Hurricane Harvey not only caused a lot of damage when it came ashore just north of Corpus Christi in south Texas, it is dumping lots of rain on south and southeast Texas. as of Monday  28 August, south and southeast Texas have received an estimated 11 trillion gallons of rain.  what has made Harvey so destructive aside from strong cat 4 winds when it came ashore, is it stalled out, blocked by high pressure which caused Harvey to keep sending band after band of heavy rain showers across the same area. Over a 12 hours period on Sunday I received 9 inches of rain.  Since Thursday I have received 23 inches of rain.  Because of topology there isn't much flooding where I live, but my runoff will affect those downstream from me, mostly the already hard hit Houston area.  The rain isn't predicted to end until middle of the week.

Cerbera    1,017

That is a lot of rain. Hopefully the Texan spirit will pull you all through... I see you've already started :)

Seriously though, hope you're all OK...

CBR

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

Igor    439

Oh man, so sad to see this. Can you put some of your own images? Is there anything we can do to help like donations?

• Like 1

bobc4d    82

thanks Igor, I appreciate the thought and it is sad for those on the coastal area, they really got hammered with over 36 inches of rain and more coming.  I am fine, just the ground is supersaturated but luckily I have no flooding where I live and there is really nothing to take pictures of because it is all gone. (hasn't rained in three hours)  what rain I did get swiftly moved out to head south to the coast, just where they do not need more.  I received half the average annual rainfall for my area in three days.  I live here and can't comprehend just how much rain we've received, it really is quiet unfathomable. 

3D-Pangel    173

Some more sad facts about Harvey:

Estimated to be over $20 billion in damage.  The area of Texas that is flooded is equal to the size of Lake Michigan (one of the US great lakes). 450,000 people are affected.  Not sure if "affected" means anything and everything between loss of power to evacuation and/or loss of homes but that is a lot of people.  Harvey spun back into the ocean and has gained strength and will be coming back into the eastern part of Texas with some impacts to Louisiana (who suffered greatly at the hands of the Cat 5 hurricane Katrina some years ago).  Houston is the 4th largest city in America and Texas is responsible for 1/10th of the US economy.  Houston is a major oil producer for the US and oil refineries were shut down and/or damaged by Harvey.  Beyond witnessing the heart-wrenching agony of the devastation caused by Harvey, the effects of this hurricane will be felt through-out the US.

My only hope is that the loss of life remains very low but until this storm clears and the waters recede we may not know what the death toll really is as people were pretty much sheltered in place during the hurricane and then trapped as the water levels rose from the 36+ inches of rain.  

The only bright spot to this whole catastrophe is watching how the people of Houston are coming together to help and save lives.  All the political and identity politics that have divided the US over the past year seem to have been quickly forgotten because only one thing matters: saving lives.  Only one thing matters: providing shelter to the un-sheltered.  Only one thing matters: given aid to the injured.  Only one thing matters: feeding the un-fed.  Only one thing matters: Giving hope to those who have lost everything.  

Only one thing matters: The person whom you disagree with today could be the neighbor pulling you to safety tomorrow.  

Keep the people of Houston in your thoughts and prayers...and learn from their sacrifice!

Dave

• Like 2
  • Sad 1

bobc4d    82

Very well said Dave, thank you.  

I am in the clear now, it hasn't rained in 20 hours but as I said my runoff is making its way south to Houston via Brazos river and will add to what the already have.