Sign in to follow this  
eugeman

.igs file into cinema 4d

Hello,

I am creating a 20s opening animation for a conference. I need to create some close up 'hero' moves on a company trophy.

It's meant to be chrome metal, reflecting purple and red colours in the surface, with a black background.

I am very new to cinema 4d. But thought this was a good starter project, and there is a deadline! 4 weeks time.

I have been supplied with a .igs file (Im guessing from some CAD program) - attached to this message.

It does import in C4d, but I'm not sure if I should use this file or remodel the rocket from scratch myself, bearing in mind I have to texture it with a reflective chrome material.

Will using this imported model slow down my render times?

Also, a quick hardware question. I'm working on a mid 2012 retina mac with C4d R16.

I am concerned I am going to run into crazy render times - any advice on this?

Many thanks in adv!

trophy_-_revised_spokes_03_01.11.IGS

Well, like most Solidworks imports, it's certainly a hideous model in terms of topology, but really the only question to ask is 'does it render OK' ? Unfortunately, the answer in this case is 'no it doesn't'. More positively, it is a relatively easy thing to make from scratch if you know what you're doing, modelling-wise.

10 hours ago, eugeman said:

Will using this imported model slow down my render times?

No, or not so much as to be noticeable. But you still can't use it unless you can find a way to eliminate those shading errors. Sometimes removing the normal tags solves these things, but not in your case.

Once you have modelled it again, chrome, assuming it's not blurry, is actually a very quick thing to render, and you will save even more time if you disable the color channel entirely.

CBR

• Like 1

• Topic Author
  • that was extremely useful, I had a hunch the model looked a bit of a mess when I imported it. I'm learning modelling currently - so will set about sculpting the trophy myself. Good to know that Chrome is fast to render as a material.

Looking at the model its the twisted spokes that connect the upper and lower parts of the model that look to be the toughest to re create - any initial thoughts on a good approach to this? I 

Thanks for your help CBR. 

15 minutes ago, eugeman said:

Thanks for your help CBR. 

You're welcome...

15 minutes ago, eugeman said:

Looking at the model its the twisted spokes that connect the upper and lower parts of the model that look to be the toughest to re create - any initial thoughts on a good approach to this? I 

Indeed. I'd do them all at once with the twist deformer; that is to say I would make this model in 3 different sections, twist the middle bit, then join them at both ends to the other parts. If you're clever you'll be using an array to make the middle bit so that you only have to model one of the twisty bits. That's my preferred way to go.

Alternatively, you can try and work with what you've already got, and if you go that route, first order will be to delete all the normal tags, then most of the polygons, leaving only points you can reconnect into decent geometry. You'd have to do that last bit in sections so you didn't get lost with what should connect where. Or you could try and do it by dissolving excess edges, and retopologizing where you have to. All very tedious, so probably quicker to model from scratch.

CBR

• Topic Author
  • Looking at all those polygons in the .igs I'm going to attempt to remodel. I think the trickiest part of the modelling for me will be creating a  smooth join between the spokes and the two parts. As each spoke seems to flare out at its ends. Will give it a go, may post for advice down the road, thanks again.

Think i would start with a disc with an appropriate amount of sections and then extrude them out, or two discs and bridge from one to the other.

Maybe the best way is to make the top and bottom, then copy/cut the caps off of the ends, choose your segments, bridge up between the two, add twist and squash deformers where required, take the whole lot back to the two cones and join it all up, knowing that it will all fit.

Not a great modeller myself, but that sounds do able for me. 

It may be easier to model 1 leg and use an array/cloner to get the amount you need.

My 10pence worth

Deck