Sign in to follow this  
VECTOR

IQP OFFICIAL : Mini fly hook challenge

• Topic Author
  • 18 minutes ago, zak said:

When is 'D' day now? And where do I upload my final?

we're running till the end of the month to give late starters some more time to finish, you'll notice that now there's a final entries tab, in the club menu, courtesy of @Igor so i'll be creating a final entries topic for the fly hook challenge and future challenges. so 1 final rendered image and 1 wireframe mesh shot to be submitted as part of your final entries :D

• Topic Author
  • Hey guys wats up, just a heads up that the challenge will be finishing on Saturday evening, I hope every had some fun taking part in this and hopefully leared/made some improvements to your modelling along the way : D I'll be creating the final entries thread over the next couple of days for everyone to post their final renders and wire frames we're all dying to see :D @Cerbera and I will have our laser at the ready to blast any triangles and ngons we may come into contact with and prepair any of the user responsible for execution :D, regards ,Elite team 

Having a go at this - although still not convinced that quads for quads sake is a healthy life choice ::):  Although it's definitely good practice even for experienced modelers..

Not 100% clear on the rules of engagement however - can the final render show the Subdivided version, and the wireframe show the control cage?  It's a little bit unclear whether you're judging on the final subdivided mesh flow or the control cage or both..

There's definitely some grounds for refining the competition criteria.  I would interpret it like this:

• The idea is to show good poly flow, which basically means a nicely built and flowing control cage, that resolves nicely in the subdivided/smoothed version.
    • I would guess the control-cage/base-mesh would be relatively mid-poly in most cases - or at least demonstrate that subdivided mesh flow is well controlled and resolves nicely via the elixir of a quads-only base mesh.

Does that sound about right?

wip1.jpg

10 minutes ago, MidnightCow said:

Does that sound about right?

It certainly does, my friend :)

CBR

• Topic Author
  • Yea should have specified that but I'd like to see the wire frame with sub d off, rather than isopalms so we can really see how it's been created without  the nice smoothing from the sds

Cool, yep that sounds pretty clear.

Nice to see a few entries and people making a real effort to improve/learn - i can see a few beginners showing me up in quad-only world :)

• Topic Author
  • yea it's certainly refreshing to have the challenges up and running again :D quads are for life my friend  not just for Christmas.

On 26/09/2017 at 9:57 AM, VECTOR said:

Hey guys wats up, just a heads up that the challenge will be finishing on Saturday evening, I hope every had some fun taking part in this and hopefully leared/made some improvements to your modelling along the way : D I'll be creating the final entries thread over the next couple of days for everyone to post their final renders and wire frames we're all dying to see :D @Cerbera and I will have our laser at the ready to blast any triangles and ngons we may come into contact with and prepair any of the user responsible for execution :D, regards ,Elite team 

Ah yes. I've been totally swamped with other stuff the past two weeks but I think I only needed to do some texturing so I'll have my entry done by saturday. Thanks for the heads up :)

10 hours ago, VECTOR said:

Yea should have specified that but I'd like to see the wire frame with sub d off, rather than isopalms so we can really see how it's been created without  the nice smoothing from the sds

Yeah, not much trouble to make a wire frame without sub-d, one with sub-d, and final render with sub-d.

btw do we also need to post the actual project files? If you really want to check for triangles or n-gons a simple wireframe render from one viewpoint isn't going to cut it obviously ;)

• Topic Author
  • 11 minutes ago, King of Snake said:

Ah yes. I've been totally swamped with other stuff the past two weeks but I think I only needed to do some texturing so I'll have my entry done by saturday. Thanks for the heads up :)

Yeah, not much trouble to make a wire frame without sub-d, one with sub-d, and final render with sub-d.

btw do we also need to post the actual project files? If you really want to check for triangles or n-gons a simple wireframe render from one viewpoint isn't going to cut it obviously ;)

Ah yes , well maybe for the wire frames we could have the hook from a few different angles, a bit like this

59c7f1958e9d1_update1wire.thumb.jpg.f03d00706db1bcd3e82b4e23994c600f.jpg

• Topic Author
  • Hey guys there final entries thread is here 

you can also find it in the final entries section in the club menu tab :D 

Sign in to follow this