Hey, you need a renderfarm? If that's the case, make sure you check this topic for more info! 

Studiom    0

Hi everyone, just installed R19 and I am having error messages on ProRender. My Mac Pro "Twelve Core" 3.06 is running Sierra and I have the ATI Radeon HD 5770 1024 MB.

The card is recognised but I get a "Unknown Internal ProRender error" message. I have logged this with MAXON but wondered has anyone else had this problem. 

I am guessing it is a hardware issue and my GPU is just not up to the task. Seeing as Apple are not moving fast on the new Mac Pro and releasing the iMac Pro I might have to consider jumping ship to a PC now! 

Screen Shot 2017-09-05 at 09.53.13.png

RBarrett    108

I've seen a few reports in tech support about the 5770. I don't have one handy to test, but I fear it's likely just not up to the task. It's pretty old and low on vram. Even if it worked, it would be brutally slow.

I would recommend that everyone watch my new Cineversity Quicktip "5 ProRender Gotchas" - especially since I see in your screenshot you've used a floor object (they're not supported, but that's not the reason it's crashing).

• Like 1

Fastbee    83

Prorender does seem to take a huge amount of RAM.  I have a Titan X with 12GB of RAM and trying to render some of the sample scenes in C4D content browser with Prorender would give an out of RAM message.  I'm not sure if it's because it was not emptying right after every render as I was not monitoring my video card RAM like that.

Guest violst   
Guest violst

Hi @Studiom,

The GPU you have in your Mac Pro is very, very old. The Mac Pro can take non standard PC GPU's but in some cases you will just have a black startup screen until the system boots up completely, but Its give you many more options of more modern and much, much more powerful GPU's. If you go over to the web site macrumors.com under the mac pro hardware section you can search under the topic GPU's or start a new thread asking for opinions on which modern GPU will work best for you with ProRender and you Mac Pro. Good luck!

henricius    1

Hi, I just want to confirm that I have the same error message as @Studiom and the same card (ATI Radeon HD 5770). I am also using a MacPro (6 core 3.33 ghz ) I guess the card is way to old. I have tried to dig around a bit on what card work works best for the MacPro with ProRender but it can be hard to find fresh information on this. I will keep searching.

• Like 1

Bigbot    9

Hello all,  I'm having the same issues with my mac pro with pro render.  Is anyone using a Nvidia Quadro card having similar issues or does it work.

thanks

norm

lopakam    56
On ‎9‎/‎6‎/‎2017 at 8:37 AM, violst said:

Hi @Studiom,

The GPU you have in your Mac Pro is very, very old. The Mac Pro can take non standard PC GPU's but in some cases you will just have a black startup screen until the system boots up completely, but Its give you many more options of more modern and much, much more powerful GPU's. If you go over to the web site macrumors.com under the mac pro hardware section you can search under the topic GPU's or start a new thread asking for opinions on which modern GPU will work best for you with ProRender and you Mac Pro. Good luck!

violst brings up a very good point.  The 2009 through 2012 Mac Pros are amazing machines and can run modern GPUs, with a few small things to be aware of.  I have a 2009 Mac Pro and found a way to upgrade the BIOS to a 2010 (5.1.).  This allowed me to install High Sierra.  With High Sierra, I now have an Nvidia 1080 ti.  (I was also able to upgrade my processors to dual 3.46 hex, giving me 12 cores.)  The main issue with using these cards is upgrades to the OS.  Every time Apple updates the OS, the card does not work until I download the new drivers from Nvidia.  So I have an old Apple 120 card installed, driving my monitors.  This leaves the 1080 ti for rendering as well as using the computer to download the Nvidia update.  Even with one card it is still possible to update if you remote into it, but leaving the old 120 in seems more practical.  

Having said that, I have not tried ProRender with this setup.  I mainly use Redshift, Octane, and Cycles4D.  But I cannot see any reason why this would not work.

Don't get rid of that old Mac Pro just yet.  There is still a lot of life in those old computers!

Mark

I have the same issue I have the Duel 6 core mode 2010 Mac Pro with a ATI Radeon Pro HD 5870 and I get the same error. After doing some research I found provender doesn't support the cards with that GPU architecture and you need a more modern card. That said... I have upgraded my GPU to 2 Nvidia 780Tis with an external PSU to power them. As was mentioned before its a pain overtime Apple Macs and OS update I have to swap out one of the GPUs for the original in order to download the new drivers... Huge pain so I gave up... lets see how the new Mac pros are when announced... xmas may come late!

grantpd    1

I have the same issue, but on a pc.  GTX1070 card.  Is it the card?  I get renders to the picture viewer instantly but my viewport just goes black and gives me the error message. I'm using a stupid simple scene too.  Any advice greatly appreciated.

test.zip

Bigbot    9

So I guess pro render just doesn't like macs.  I just got the new iMac pro 10 core with  Radeon Pro Vega 64 16 GB.  It handles xparticals like a dream but crashes with prorender even with the easiest scene.  I guess nvidia is the way to go if you plan to use prorender .

Sreckom    16

No that can not be, ProRender is AMD render engine, so there is no single chance it works better on Nvidia cards. As a matter a fact it is slower on Nvidia cards than on AMD (OpenCL). I guess that is some kind of driver issues, realted to Apple OpenCL integration probably.