Hey guys, check out new PolyGnome tool for Cinema 4D from our long-time member C4DS. You can find PolyGnome in our Store and we hope you like it!! :cowboypistol:

Cinema 4D Plugins

drmoreau

Exporting game-ready models for Unity?

drmoreau    1

Hi all. Still sort of a newb when it comes to C4D and I was wondering what advice you could give me for exporting game-ready models? Primarily:

1. Are there any easy tools to help optimize/reduce the polygons in a model in C4D? I really don't feel like re-modelling the entire things in low-poly if I don't have to.

2. Can you recommend a good tutorial on exporting to FBX that "bakes" the textures/materials so that they work right in another application (in this case the Unity game engine)?

Thanks!

Cerbera    1,009

I can help with 1, but it's not great news...

The only tool in R16 that can help is polygon reduction, but IME that really doesn't do a great job. Probably much better to model from scratch with the final end purpose in mind. Or you can build new low density polygon structure on top of the old one using retopo tools like wrap deformer, polygon snapping and poly pen. This is made extra easy if you have the HB modelling bundle which includes a fantastic retopo workflow.

CBR

drmoreau    1

What about R17, I have a colleague who has access to that version. Does it have anything better for optimization?

Cerbera    1,009

No. I think R18 has a rewritten poly reduction tool, but the end result isn't that different.

CBR

drmoreau    1

Darn. So it looks like I'll just have to remodel stuff in low poly :\

Oh well, at least most of the ships are (fairly) easy to model. Was hoping to save some time, but I might just have to do that.

Is there a quick way to see a polygon count for the scene in C4D, I know there is in Max.

Cerbera    1,009

Yep. Project Information from the object manager...