Pantheon

R19 Viewport reflection quality

Pantheon    0

The reflections in the viewport are much lower in quality than my renders, but it doesn't appear like this in the preview videos I have seen. I can't find anywhere to adjust the quality of the reflections. Is there a way to do this?

maliohammad    270
19 hours ago, Pantheon said:

The reflections in the viewport are much lower in quality than my renders, but it doesn't appear like this in the preview videos I have seen. I can't find anywhere to adjust the quality of the reflections. Is there a way to do this?

It is impossible to get the same quality reflections as the final renderer . It is called viewport for a reason , and it give you instant results (unlike the long hours of final render )

Pantheon    0
  • Topic Author
  • The thing is, it's not showing the full reflection. It's only showing like the first part of the object's reflection and then it just disappears, but the full reflection shows in the render. In the preview video about this new viewport feature, it shows the Buddha with a full reflection, so it must be possible. Actually, I just went and watched the video again. You cannot really see if the entire reflection is there. Can anyone confirm if the object's entire reflection is supposed to show? https://youtu.be/MYWFywainIg?t=3m1s

maliohammad    270

what do you mean by "full reflection " ? reflections are multi layers (the default count for render is 15 , but most of the times 5 work ) . I think the viewport will show you one layer only (correct me if I am wrong) . 

what I mean by this , if you have a mirror reflecting another mirror , in real life there would be endless pictures of the mirrors , in 3d we limit it to a specific count .

Pantheon    0
  • Topic Author
  • imagine the budda standing on a mirror, you can see his entire body in the mirror, in my viewport i would only be able to see like 25% of his body starting with his feet, then legs, by the time the reflection should reach the top of his body there is nothing there in the reflection

RBarrett    86

The Screen Space Reflection depends a lot on the scale of your scene. Once you turn it on in the Configure View Attributes, there's a couple of settings - Ray Distance and Geometry Thickness - which you can modify. If you're not seeing the whole object, you likely need to increase the Ray Distance, but if you set it too high the object will begin to distort. If the reflection appears striped, you need to increase the Geometry Thickness.