SPOD

Crowd of People facing centre

SPOD    1

Hey,

I'm making a 'dance circle' where there's a crowd made up of 8 different characters crowding around a figure in the middle.  I've got it working well by baking the crowds animations and placing them around spline being aligned by the cloner with them all rotated to the middle.  I have a camera circling & targeting the middle guy on another spline and it looks great, but I need to flesh out the crowd.  I've thought about just copy / pasting more cloner instances, but it doesn't feel very elegant and i'm sure there's a better way that would be lighter on the rendering.

I thought perhaps I could make a Grid Array cloner, but can't figure out how to get them to all face the middle and to exclude the middle.   

Any ideas?

Cerbera    1,968
1 hour ago, munna said:

I am not expert but in my idea... try "attractor".

No, that won't work on clones unless they are dynamic. Attractor is primarily a particle effect. And even if it did work, it wouldn't work like that !

CBR

• Like 1

Cerbera    1,968
3 hours ago, munna said:

ok.... see this, may be helpful. few years back I saw this.

Again, no, because the cloner takes over the rotation of clones, rendering the target tag inactive.

Your first plan is fine - just needs expanding a bit. I'd be making sure my characters' faced down the Z axis and then I'd be putting the cloner in radial array mode with 'align' turned on. As you said, that would give you one circular row of people, all facing the center. But you can just make additional cloners (and change the order of the people under them) to build the rows behind the first, and could use random effectors to vary the position of people from their radial defaults for a nice crowd-like result.

CBR

• Like 1

VECTOR    536
1 hour ago, munna said:

better post at cgtalk, many expert and helpful guys there.

http://forums.cgsociety.org/forumdisplay.php?f=47

there's plenty of experts and helpful people here Cerbera being one of them, no need to go there just because you gave the wrong advice and Cerbera corrected you ..

• Like 1

SPOD    1
  • Topic Author
  • Thanks guys,  went down the multiple radial cloner route but as I ultimately want it to fit in a square room, I didn't have the control I liked.

My current solution is to have the cloner 'align to spline' of a spline i've drawn as a track throughout the room.  Then, to deal with where they're looking I made a circular spline at the centre and set it as a 'rail' in the cloners 'object' tab.

This has worked to a degree.  It had all the clones looking to the centre, but there were clones flipped on the vertical / Y axis.  So there were characters 'standing' under the floor.

I've been moving the 'rail' around to try and fix this, but it's not working yet.  From playing around, it seems to 'pull' their heads towards the centre, instead of spinning them to 'look' at the centre and i'm not sure how to adjust that.  About to play with transform in the cloner and the best I can get is to turn the H rotation 90 degrees so they're upright, but they're either looking at or away from the centre, not all towards them middle.  

I'm sure there's something i'm missing to make this work more coherently, or maybe i'm just on the wrong track.  .  

Any tips?

Cerbera    1,968

I'm surprised Mixamo characters aren't facing the right way by default - they should be facing away from the arrow direction, but on the same axis as the blue Z line in the viewport. If that is the case radial cloner should totally work, and without any additional cloner transforms, but if not, then we are gonna need to play with your scene file to fix it for you... please save and zip it, upload to dropbox or similar, and link it here....

CBR

SPOD    1
  • Topic Author
  • I think it's because i've hand drawn a spline that criss crosses around the room, so some lines have the axis' flipped.  Just looking for a way to override the characters from listening to the axis and to just turn towards the 'rail'.

For the most part its working, but i'll simplify the scene and zip it up.  it's about 3 gigs as is.

SPOD    1
  • Topic Author
  • Looks like I got it working!  I put a Mograph Effector / Target in the clone gorup and set the 'rail' as the object target in target mode and it looks like it's worked!!!  

My only problem now is the characters collide every now and then but i'm just trying to space them as I'm not sure how to get collision tags to work properly in this instance

• Like 1