Hey guys, check out new PolyGnome tool for Cinema 4D from our long-time member C4DS. You can find PolyGnome in our Store and we hope you like it!! :cowboypistol:

drmoreau

Plugin to quickly create hull panels?

drmoreau    1

I can't stand texturing, never have, in almost two decades I've still not learned proper texturing because I just can't wrap my head around UV unwrapping (which just looks like a birds nest, and I don't understand how folks can figure out what they're working with). Countless tutorial attempts, countless failures, so now I just rely on shaders and modelling all of the detail in. That said, I'm working on a spaceship model that requires hull panels, and the process I've been doing:

1. Select a few faces

2. Extrude those faces

3. Select the edges of the newly extruded area (with the loop selection tool)

4. then go find the edge that aren't selected (the 4 vertical ones, one on each corner) and select them manually

5. apply a bevel

As you can see this is a very tedious process. Is there any kind of script or plugin that would automate something like this? I just want to give the appearance of hull panels/armor without textures (I think I hate them worse than printers) or without having to do it all manually. Any help?

drmoreau    1

Greebler is a pay thing...which is weird, since most other 3D packages have free greeble plugins.

The Extrudifier thing looks neat, and I downloaded the file at the link, but it's just a C4D scene file. You'll have to forgive my newb-ness to C4D but shouldn't a plugin be a .dll or some kind of file that you put in a plugin folder? Not sure what to do with the scene file since it's supposed to be a plugin.

Cerbera    1,017
22 hours ago, drmoreau said:

The Extrudifier thing looks neat, and I downloaded the file at the link, but it's just a C4D scene file.

But there should be the extrudifier object in the scene no ? Just replace the cube already there with any other object and lose the array....

drmoreau    1

Yep, figured that out. It works pretty good. It's just really weird having an object to use instead of it being a plugin in a menu. C4D is strange, but I like the workflow.