Hey guys, check out new PolyGnome tool for Cinema 4D from our long-time member C4DS. You can find PolyGnome in our Store and we hope you like it!! :cowboypistol:

natevplas

Selection from texture / map

natevplas    1

Is there a way to create a selection based on a black and white texture?  I have a sphere, which I'm using as the object for a cloner of a bunch of cylinders on it.  I've added a Proximal shader to the sphere's luminance channel to make the sphere white with black filled circles where the cylinders are.  I'd like to create a selection from that white area to clone more things in the spaces between the cylinders.  Maybe I'm going about this the wrong way?

Cerbera    1,017

Fairly sure that's a no, at least natively. Unless you can find a script or plugin that can help (I knew of 2, but neither are available any more) your only option might be manual selection there.

CBR

natevplas    1

Thanks Cerbera!  I'm open to completely different ideas on how to accomplish this.  For now, I found a work-around that isn't too bad.  I made the sphere pretty high-poly and then made my cloner and sphere editable.  I selected all the polygons for each and made a selection tag for them before doing "connect objects and delete" command.  Then I used the selection tool with "only select visible elements" checked.  I proceeded to manually select all the visible sphere polys (not worrying about avoiding the cylinder polys), then I chose the selection tag for the cylinders geometry and clicked "Deselect Polygons" so that I only had sphere polys selected.  I created a new selection tag for that, then I selected all the cylinder geometry and deleted it.

Abyss    19

Why not skip the selection tag step. and use your black and white texture in a shader effector to control where the clones should be visibile.

natevplas    1

Thanks Abyss!  Yes, I should try that.  I'm a little concerned that this will cause my computer to have to compute a lot of unnecessary clones, though.  Maybe it's not a big deal, but seemed like there must be a better way.  Also, I plan to render with Octane, so I'm not sure if the shader effector works properly with it or not.  I might try X-Particles too.

Abyss    19
36 minutes ago, natevplas said:

Thanks Abyss!  Yes, I should try that.  I'm a little concerned that this will cause my computer to have to compute a lot of unnecessary clones, though.  Maybe it's not a big deal, but seemed like there must be a better way.  Also, I plan to render with Octane, so I'm not sure if the shader effector works properly with it or not.  I might try X-Particles too.

It will work with Octane, since all the shader effector will do is tell you where the clones will be cloned on. And I am not sure but I think if clones arent visible they wont be computed. If you have a grid of 100 polys and each has its own clone. If you then say only have this one poly show its clone. thus ending up with 1 clone. I am pretty sure the other 99 that arent being used or shown will not factor in.