Hey guys, check out new PolyGnome tool for Cinema 4D from our long-time member C4DS. You can find PolyGnome in our Store and we hope you like it!! :cowboypistol:

Rendercore Lab

drmoreau

Mirror objects details to other side?

drmoreau    1

I must be missing something, in 3ds Max this is SUPER simple. You just hit "mirror" and it mirrors the objects in whatever direction you wish.

I'm trying to mirror the details on the port side of this side (the turrets, windows, and torpedo tubes) over to the starboard side but when I copy > paste then put in the opposite X coordinate (say the entire group of objects was at -232.58 I change the number to 232.58) and they move over to where they need to be, but of course are still facing the opposite direction.

Well, I try rotation of every kind and combination, but of course that won't do it, because it's not about rotation, the groups/objects need to be mirrored. How do I do this?

I mean I've noticed that if I take one object at a time and put in the reverse x coordinates and spin it around that works, but it will not work on the group(s) as a whole. (the port side details are currently grouped, with sub-groups below them for each item type). If I have to manually go in and reverse every one of these objects it's going to take an entire day worth of work just to flip stuff over to the other side. In Max this would have been a 5-10 second operation.

What am I missing?

007.png

Rectro    475

Hi

When it comes to symmetry and mirroring as you have found out C4D lacks badly in this area.  For what you want to do its not too much of a issue.  Create a Null object and drag into it everything you wish to mirror. Put the null into a symmetry tag and your done.  Normaly this kind of thing is done before Uving so check to see if the uvs get effected I dont think they do.

Dan

mirror objects c4d.jpg

drmoreau    1

Hmm, I looked through all of the tags in the menus of the object tree window and I don't see "symmetry" anywhere. Is it hidden somewhere else?

Tried Googling symmetry and just came up with a bunch of plugins.

Rectro    475

Follow the steps in my image.

Once you have done that your now faced with next thing, split them up into their individual parts, yes unfortunately they are baked together.  Unlike conventional software  you cant just cut and past with the standard Ctrl + X , Ctrl + V to separate them.  You need to use the split command in the tools/command menu, then delete the original leaving the copy behind.  You need to use the Move tool, double click with in polygon component mode to select all the polygons for each mesh as you go.

I dont know what they where thinking when they did it that way, but hope MAXON get that very odd way to work fixed.

Dan

drmoreau    1

Gotcha, I wasn't looking for an image, thanks.

One weird side effect I've noticed, the newly created stuff is BOTH sides. Like I can delete the old port side stuff and both sides are still there, but obviously if I delete the newly created starboard side object both sides dissappear. Also if I select an individual object from inside the folders it picks the one on the port side (original side) and not the starboard side object, like the starboard side objects are just reversed instances of the port side. I'm guessing any change I make to the port side now will also affect the starboard side. That's crazy.

Rectro    475

Each part that has been mirrored is merged with the mirror version of itself.  So if you have 15 meshes, and make editable the symmetry object your still have 15 meshes.  You need to select each mesh, and then polygon select one side and use the spit command, then hit delete right after.  Your then have two objects one left, one right.  Repeat this action for all objects.

Dan

drmoreau    1

They're good being linked, since I don't plan on editing them further. Pretty cool trick. Thanks.

Rectro    475
2 minutes ago, drmoreau said:

They're good being linked, since I don't plan on editing them further. Pretty cool trick. Thanks.

Thats good then, you may just want to keep them in the symmetry object then as if you do make changes it will update the other side.

This mite be worth a go if you do need to split obejcts.  https://cgtools.com/perfect-split/  You just got to watch what these actions do to the original Uvs.

Dan

Cerbera    1,017

Also note that if your materials use any of the standard projections and maps, symmetry will break them, ie they will appear broken on one side unless you apply a 'stick texture' tag to the objects under symmetry...

CBR