Hey guys, check out new PolyGnome tool for Cinema 4D from our long-time member C4DS. You can find PolyGnome in our Store and we hope you like it!! :cowboypistol:

Rendercore Lab

jed

Putting the cart before the horse

jed    176

A recent cafe thread about automatic anagram animation got the old grey matter ticking, and here's the current WIP. Might amuse somebody -

Python scene file

https://www.dropbox.com/s/yvqtmxjmzbukjkm/carthorse.c4d?dl=1

edit : file needs monospace font such as Courier New - I used Consolas.

Edited by jed
font info
  • Like 2

Abyss    19
50 minutes ago, jed said:

A recent cafe thread about automatic anagram animation got the old grey matter ticking, and here's the current WIP. Might amuse somebody -

Python scene file

https://www.dropbox.com/s/yvqtmxjmzbukjkm/carthorse.c4d?dl=1

Nice job Jed.

love all your python stuff. 

Have been recently trying to learn it myself and its definitely so much fun and its interesting to be able to create things in Python.

Its just a shame there is so little information out there. There are only a handful of people actually utilizing python in cinema it seems.

jed    176
23 minutes ago, Abyss said:

Have been recently trying to learn it myself and its definitely so much fun and its interesting to be able to create things in Python.

Its just a shame there is so little information out there. There are only a handful of people actually utilizing python in cinema it seems.

I agree - there's a ton of Python tutorials on YouTube, but the hard part is interfacing it with C4D. I find the official C4D Python SDK extremely difficult, so I tend to grab little bits of code from stuff I don't really understand in posts here, CG Society and the plugin site.

I guess one plus point is - ordinary programmers just get to (mainly) crunch numbers, whereas we get to move stuff around.

Abyss    19
50 minutes ago, jed said:

I agree - there's a ton of Python tutorials on YouTube, but the hard part is interfacing it with C4D. I find the official C4D Python SDK extremely difficult, so I tend to grab little bits of code from stuff I don't really understand in posts here, CG Society and the plugin site.

I guess one plus point is - ordinary programmers just get to (mainly) crunch numbers, whereas we get to move stuff around.

Yeah I have done a lot of python tutorials and I feel I get most ofi t at this point. Well all the basics. Ive completed codeacademy and a lot more. But when you hop over to python for C4D. 90% of all that python knowledge is almost lost. well lets just say 70%. It feels knowing the C4D SDK documention and how it all works is about 70% and then all the python functions and syntaxes is only about 30%. If you want to change anything in C4D you really need to know where to look in the different c4d modules and which part and which function etc. 

jed    176

@Abyss integer division in C4D Python caught me out once. Cinema is still on Python 2.7 where 3/2 = 1 not 1.5 (fixed in v3). I was doing some stuff that used current frame in the math - and it gave all the wrong results. Wasted half a day sorting that one out. Since then I always enter constants as 25.0 etc.

bentraje    74

This animation reminds of that Harry Potter where Voldemort changes to Tom Riddle. Thanks for sharing!

jed    176

Thanks for the comments. Here's another example - has more permutations, uses MS Gothic font. I think that's enough anagrams for a while.