Rendercore Lab

Arthos

C4D to Daz3D workflow and rigging

Arthos    4

Does anyone have experience with importing rigged stuff inside Daz3D from C4D? I did some tests with basics rigs and couldn't get it to work with fbx or collada. I either get no bones or weird glitch. I guess I could rig stuff in Daz3D but it would make my life easier to do that in C4D. 

Any tips?

Thanks

Visionnext    70

It works fine with FBX, but only at basic resolution. The weight map is only exported at Subdiv 0. You can find some discussion here

In general G3/G8 are the best figures to use in Cinema 4D, as they no longer use tri-ax weighting, but quaternion weighting, which equals to spherical weighting in Cinema 4D. Unfortunately the rotation system in Daz Studio and Cinema 4D is different and you do not get the joint controlled morphs automatically in Cinema 4D.

I investigated that topic for half a year now and I have developed a workflow that brings G3/G8 with all bells and whistles to Cinema 4D, but it is still quite cumbersome and needs some scripts in Daz Studio and Cinema 4D. My final goal would be a plugin that directly reads the Daz files, but this is like a diploma thesis.

If more people here are interested in that stuff, I might open up a thread or even a club, where we can go into more details and I can share all my findings. This involves scripting, weighting, Xpresso and a lot of other stuff.

Arthos    4
  • Topic Author
  • I think you understood my questions the other way around, I'm mostly looking to import assets from C4D to Daz3D. I guess it's more a question for Daz forums but it's always difficult to get an answer here and I hate the pre-moderated posting system. Although it's interesting to note that FBX is indeed only exported at SubDiv 0, something I've noticed before but couldn't understand why. 

Thanks