Hey guys, check out new PolyGnome tool for Cinema 4D from our long-time member C4DS. You can find PolyGnome in our Store and we hope you like it!! :cowboypistol:

Sign in to follow this  
Orphydian

[Subd surface] Weighting and phong angle

Orphydian    0

Are these safe to use as alternative to  adding  supporting edges?

I know in  Max and Maya you have crease sets and Max also have smoothing groups.

Cerbera    1,017

Not really. SDS Edge weighting  in Cinema is only really designed to help out in a few specific problems where edge flow alone cannot solve it. To use it like it was Open Subdiv will lead to all sorts of problems and would be considered bad technique by proper modellers. But you could use actual Open Subdiv, and then you can set crease values like in Max etc, and that IS a valid substitution for control edges. With one big exception. In C4D our implementation of OpenSubDiv is such that it (still !) doesn't work with UV's, so using it is only a viable option currently if you are using standard material projections. Otherwise, control edges remain very much a necessity.

CBR

• Like 1

Orphydian    0

alright I thought there might be another tool instead of the SDS weight one. Great thanks !

Cerbera    1,017
10 hours ago, Orphydian said:

alright I thought there might be another tool instead of the SDS weight one. Great thanks !

You need 'Weight subdivision surface' tool, findable either with shift-C, or using shortcut M-R.

CBR