Hey

please be considerate and disable AD blocker when you are on the C4D Cafe, because it helps us run this forum. We minimalized showing of the AD's all across the forums, so please, be so kind and at least help us by having AD blocker turned off. 

Sign in to follow this  
Orphydian

[Subd surface] Weighting and phong angle

Orphydian    0

Are these safe to use as alternative to  adding  supporting edges?

I know in  Max and Maya you have crease sets and Max also have smoothing groups.

Cerbera    1,202

Not really. SDS Edge weighting  in Cinema is only really designed to help out in a few specific problems where edge flow alone cannot solve it. To use it like it was Open Subdiv will lead to all sorts of problems and would be considered bad technique by proper modellers. But you could use actual Open Subdiv, and then you can set crease values like in Max etc, and that IS a valid substitution for control edges. With one big exception. In C4D our implementation of OpenSubDiv is such that it (still !) doesn't work with UV's, so using it is only a viable option currently if you are using standard material projections. Otherwise, control edges remain very much a necessity.

CBR

• Like 1

Orphydian    0
  • Topic Author
  • alright I thought there might be another tool instead of the SDS weight one. Great thanks !

Cerbera    1,202
    10 hours ago, Orphydian said:

alright I thought there might be another tool instead of the SDS weight one. Great thanks !

You need 'Weight subdivision surface' tool, findable either with shift-C, or using shortcut M-R.

CBR

Orphydian    0
  • Topic Author
  • Had to refer back to this post.  What exactly is the difference between applying  edge weighting  between default Catmull-Clark Subdivisions  and the OpenSubdiv ones. You said the last one is (more) viable but dont understand why. Also is there an alternative for 3ds max Opensubdiv Crease sets ? I see the structure tab in object manager has a sds edge weight mode that shows the weight values per edge but I feel thats not enough :(