Hey guys, check out new PolyGnome tool for Cinema 4D from our long-time member C4DS. You can find PolyGnome in our Store and we hope you like it!! :cowboypistol:

CarlBjorndal

Smooth subdivision on one axis only

On 9/15/2017 at 9:27 AM, CarlBjorndal said:

In any given situation where the topology is smooth enough in one direction but not the other.

I mean, sometimes you do a full object smooth subdivision and perhaps you  get way to many polygons, so you manually delete/melt them.

Where as if you could control the smooth subdivision on the different directions you would not need to do all the manual work afterwards.

But maybe this is not possible to solve, you see, I have read post from 2005 or earlier asking about this, and I have always wondered why this seems so hard to implement.

It is basically a timesaver in situations where your object needs a smooth subdivision, but as in my simplified example, you only really need it in one direction, or perhaps you want to subdivide more in one direction then the other...

The added image is trying to show what I mean, the red line is sufficient and smooth, the blue one does look a bit corse, so, If I want to do a smooth subdivision on this object, it will fix the coarseness of the blue but it will make to many polygons in the red direction...

/C

smooth_on_one_axis_only2.jpg

Not sure if this will work in the situation that you need it for, but you could select the edge loops where you need more smoothness (in the case of the example, easily done with ring selection), and use the slide tool with clone and preserve curvature options. This will immediately double the amount of segments along that edge flow while maintaining the curvature.  If you need even more, just redo the same thing selecting the newly made edges as well. Not totally automated but takes about 5 seconds.

• Like 1

58 minutes ago, King of Snake said:

Not sure if this will work in the situation that you need it for, but you could select the edge loops where you need more smoothness (in the case of the example, easily done with ring selection), and use the slide tool with clone and preserve curvature options. This will immediately double the amount of segments along that edge flow while maintaining the curvature.  If you need even more, just redo the same thing selecting the newly made edges as well. Not totally automated but takes about 5 seconds.

Yes, works great! I will have this in mind. Thank you for your suggestion.

bezo    397

... my example was created exactly as King said...

(few clicks saved by using Daniel´s @C4DS plugin RingLoop)