I wouldn't go as far to say that I have solved the problem but I have found a solution. I would hope there is a more automated way of doing it, I had to simply do it the hard way.
1. make a small plane
2. clone and create 300+ clones in an array. Make array flat and in the shape of a larger plane
3. Boole the desired irregular shape to cut out the exact shape from your clones
4. make editable
5. extrude plane surface to make 3d
5. put all 300+ newly created polys into its own individual null.
6. change axis of null to desired location. Because we want each object to pivot on its on specific axis (not from center of object)
7. place each null into a fracture object (in my case over 300). set at STRAIGHT
8. Now I can add my shader and delay effector animation
result: it appears that I have a bunch of cloners building into an irregular object.
I hope someone could show a more automated way of accomplishing this. The shader effector is a custom created animation from AE.
Right now it works really good, basically exactly what I wanted but the to get there seems to me to difficult. Why isn't there a simpler way ?